Sunday, June 15, 2014

Following the Snail Trail

On a recent walk with my kids we discovered some snails. Several minutes were devoted to observing and talking about their movements, appearance, and purpose.  I was curious if this moment could be used to meet the new science standards.

The Next Generation Science Standards are on my reading list for this summer. There is much to unpack and think about in these standards. I began by reading the short document on the conceptual shifts and browsed through the scientific practices and crosscutting concepts.

The first conceptual shift contends that science education should "reflect the interconnected nature of science as it is practiced and experienced in the real world".

Now I was ready to take my snail moment and look at it through the Next Gen framework. I used the search feature to locate a possible list that would apply. That rich observation of snails could easily be used to meet this life science standard IF schools find approaches that truly integrate content. The ELA standard of writing opinion pieces matches perfectly with this science standard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment